Perfect time to pull up the dandelions!
If you are like me, you have a suburban yard in the front, and a chicken yard in the back. Front yard green, back yard not. I put out alfalfa and hay and veggie scraps in the winter to give them some fresh greens. I even try to lure them in the front yard so they will 'mow' it for me, but they don't range far from the open gate.
We've had such wonderful rains that today, tomorrow, anytime soon, is a great time to pull up the dandelions in your front yard and toss them to the chickens in the back yard! The soil is so evenly moist and soft, it is quite easy to pull them out, complete root and all! I can toss the entire clump to the chickens, roots, dirt, and all.
To do it right the first time, make sure you corral every single blade of green in your hand, especially those closest to the ground, and the plant will pull out by the root. If you don't have all of them gathered in your hand when you pull, you run the risk of yanking it off at the base, root still in the ground.
When tossing them an entire plant, roots attached, they are better able to pull off bite sized pieces, and I have less worry of them swallowing pieces too large that might block their crop. They love the dandelions, and eat the flowers and greens down to the stubs. Happy weeding!
-BluebonnetEggs
https://www.facebook.com/austinbluebonnet.eggshow



0 comments:
Post a Comment